Like this!

Thursday 6 August 2015

[Movie review] Pixels (3D) (2015)


Pixels' first international trailer. (Columbia Pictures)


I'll first summarize this review with four words about Pixels: I love this movie!

Many critics felt the movie was bad, including the absence of a proper plot and a dangerous villain; bad acting, sexism and stereotypical offensive image of gamers and nerds. These critics have done everything in their power to persuade moviegoers to avoid watching the film at all costs. A journalist from the gaming blog Kotaku e.g. has spoilt the entire story for its readers. Another journalist felt that Pixels was worse than Super Mario Bros. from 1993. A third journalist recommended moviegoers to re-watch the video game movies Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children or Wreck-It Ralph instead since they, according to him, at least respected the source material.

Personally I don't agree with the critics. But instead of boring you with my arguments, let's put it this way: Pixels is not a conventional video game movie. It's a sci-fi comedy which pays homage to the classic arcade games of the 80s. People either love the movie (like I do) or hate it.

I guess the little child inside of me was awakened during the movie, because I felt the same wow-feeling like when I watched different adventure movies and series (e.g. Digimon) when I was younger.

I think Chris Columbus (the director of the first two Harry Potter movies) and the actors have done a great job. The acting may not convince everyone, but it convinced me anyway. Pixels obviously can't be compared with Columbus' Harry Potter films, but it had its own magic. The movie lacked vulgar humor etc. and I'm very grateful for that.

Since I liked Pixels so much, I just had to download the tie-in mobile game Pixels Defense directly after watching the movie. So this is only a positive sign that the movie succeeded in entertaining me greatly.

What about the 3D effects? Were they any good? Unfortunately, like Terminator: Genisys and Ant-Man, the 3D effects only felt at some places in the movie.


ScoreFull Star YellowFull Star YellowFull Star YellowFull Star YellowEmpty Star

No comments:

Post a Comment